Monday, June 18, 2012

Workshop / Studio Space

Jewelry tends to be a smaller craft.  Unlike pottery or sculpture, which tend to take up a lot of space.  I am lucky enough to have my workspace contained in our bonus room.  I use an 8ft X 4ft table (2x4basics 90164 Workbench and Shelving Storage System) that my husband put together for me.  It fits three stations.  A bench pin station for drilling, sawing and filing.  A soldering station for torch work.  And an enameling station with the kiln and all my enameling tools.  Some of my tools were bought new, like pliers and torches. But some of my tools are second hand, like my kiln.  And still others I have made or scavenged from other parts of the house, like paintbrushes, mugs to organize tools and picks I have made from brass wire.  My workbench is rarely ever "clean", but everything is where I can find it and it makes sense to me.  I do, for safety reasons, thoroughly clean my bench about once a quarter.  

I like this set up for multiple reasons. As a mom, having my workspace in the house works out very well.  Because I am situated in the bonus room, my son can play as I work and when he needs me, I am right there for him.  Right now we have what I call "the great wall" set up so that he can't get to my workbench but I can still see him.  Also, as he gets older and understands more, he will see the value of making something with your hands as well as the self discipline to set your own work hours.  As a metal-smith, having my son there helps me to stay grounded and take breaks.  I can often get completely lost in a project and all of a sudden, I have spent the whole day working on one thing.  Having him there keeps me focused and on schedule.  I also get a lot of work done during his naps.  This also helps me to focus and stay on schedule because I know I only have a limited amount of time to work.

Something I love about my workspace is that it is mine alone.  I am the only one who touches it and I alone have decorated it.  It is so easy to get caught up in being a mom and give away everything you are, I think sometimes you loose your own identity when you do that.  I encourage everyone to have a sacred space for them to work.  A space that makes sense to you and that only you use.  I feel that I can never loose myself if I have something that is mine alone.  It may seem selfish, but it keeps me sane and makes me a better mom.

Enameling Station

Soldering Station

Bench Pin Station

The Great Wall

More of the great wall and my decor


No comments:

Post a Comment