Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Inspiration

Because I am responsible for my creation from conception to fabrication, I often find myself needing a little inspiration.  When I'm in an inspiration slump, I usually work on production items, things that I have a formula for that I know will sell and I can make multiples of.  This keeps me in touch with my craft as well as doing something useful. 

Places I find inspiration, like all artists, is the world around me.  I have always been awed by the natural world and how so much diversity flourishes.  Each plant and animal have their unique characteristics that help them to survive, yet they are all so different.  Lately, I have been focusing on plant forms but I have done some insect pieces also.  Creating animals is very difficult in metal because they need to portray the animals likeness and be recognizable as that animal.  This is harder than you think for metal smiths. 

When I am inspired to create a piece, it is often all I can think about until it is finished.  This is very helpful because I work out a lot of the technical problems in my head before I even start the piece.  Also, once a piece is finished and I have worked out a formula, it goes into my little black book of designs for when I'm in an inspiration slump.  This process has worked for me so far, so if it's not broke, don't fix it!






No comments:

Post a Comment