Friday, June 15, 2012

Support part 2

Yesterday's post was all about having support on the business side of things.  Today I'd like to talk about support on the artistic side of things. 

Metalsmiths Unite is a group on Facebook to which I belong.  I have looked at other group's pages and have been surprised with the negativity that comes through the posts.  Metalsmiths Unite is not at all that way.  The group is made up of beginners all the way to professionals.  I have found nothing but positive feedback and support from the members.  Having no formal metal smithing education (just workshops), I admittedly have some gaps in my learning. Whenever I post a question or pose a problem, no matter how basic, Metalsmiths Unite comes to the rescue.  I am not the only person whom Metalsmiths Unite has rescued.  Many members post regularly and find support from metalsmiths across the world.  When I say support, I am referring to not only the tactical questions about soldering and tool recommendations but also the occasional slump or bad day.  It's so nice to have a group of people who understand all the metal jargon and what it means to be an artist creating in metal. 

Being not only a metalsmith but also an enamelist, I also belong to a formal organization called The Enamelists Society (www.enamelistsociety.org).  I pay a yearly membership fee which has proved its worth many times over.  Each quarter, I receive a newsletter with the latest happenings in the enamel world.  With inspiring pictures, updates on exhibitions and the latest offerings of classes, I find myself very exited when the envelope arrives.  When it does come, I have to read it cover to cover before filing it for future reference.  

Lastly, I belong to another online group called Grains of Glass (www.grainsofglass.com).  This group is specifically for enamelists and is a great source of inspiration.  There are many groups within this site for the different techniques (for example: champleve, cloisonne, and torch firing).  This allows me to explore different techniques within enameling.  I have received very positive feedback and support on this site as well. 

Belonging to these groups will always be a part of being an artist.  Especially being a metalsmith and an enamelist, these trades can be very isolating.  Having people who understand and being able to connect, whether it's through the internet or snail mail, is invaluable. 


No comments:

Post a Comment