Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Photography

Photography is a sore subject for me.  I have struggled with photography for some time and after many failed attempts, I gave up and have someone else shoot my items for me.  I take the point of view that I can only be good at so many things, photography isn't one of them.  Instead of spending time trying to learn how to take a great product shot or use editing software, I am spending my time perfecting my metal smithing and enameling skills.  Here are some examples of my failed attempts at photography.  In looking through my horrible pictures, I also noticed a progression in my work.  It's nice to see how far I've come :)


Bad background choice and not all in focus

bad lighting

too dark

This was my first enameled piece.  It's a great piece but the picture is way too dark

I started taking pictures outside, good light but too much shadow

the contrast on this one is way too high, black was not a good background choice

I then tried a photo box, still too much shadow

Ahh, that's better.  Yes, this is one done by a professional

So, the moral of today's post is, when you struggle with something that is not your craft, admit defeat.  It's better to pay someone who will do a great job, than spend time away from what you do to learn it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment