Thursday, June 21, 2012

Time Management

With most artists, time management is tricky.  When the muses move you, you're on a roll and creating things left and right.  But when you're not so inspired, how do you stay on track? 

I have found that flexibility is really the key.  I tend to drive myself too hard in preparing for shows or to drop things off at a store.  I don't want to be doing nothing either.  I think there is a nice balance in between.  When I'm inspired and excited about a piece, I have to make it.  I spend most of my time on the new piece.  The trick I've learned is to write down what I'm doing, so that if that piece is a good seller, I have a formula to make it again and I don't have to reinvent the wheel.  When I'm not inspired or I have an event coming up, I focus on production pieces.  Pieces that I know will sell well that I have tried-and-true formulas for.  Making these in multiples helps also so that I can have some out on display at my stores as well as having a few for shows. 

Because I focus my selling energy into craft shows, I have two dead times during the year, January to March and June to August.  These are times when I prefer to take classes and take on other projects that may not be related to jewelry.  For example, I just spent this past week refinishing a table and bench for our dining room.  I have not had time between that, my son and getting ready for guests to even touch my workbench.  For this time of year, that's ok.  I have a lot more flexability right now.  Come August though, I have to buckle down and focus on work. 

I call it work but it's not, I love what I do.  When it starts feeling like work, I'll slow down to where it's enjoyable.  That is another thing about making your own schedule in a business like this.  My goal is not to become a corporate business, I am in this to create beautiful things and bring joy to my customers.  As long as I can continue to do that, I'm happy.  This was something I determined a long time ago, when I first got into selling my jewelry.  It has kept me sane and in balance with family and work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment