Thursday, September 6, 2012

From Start to Finish

I have been working for a while on this piece.  It is very heavy and includes a lot of silver.  I am really happy with the way it turned out.  Mostly because it is very close to the drawing I came up with months ago.  This piece was a challenge for me, from cloisonne shapes I don't usually use to bezel setting which I am in need of more practice.  I feel this piece shows my current level of metalsmithing skills, which I am always improving.  Forgive me, the pictures were taken with my iphone.


Here is my original drawing of the piece.  My inspiration was circles.  The entire necklace is circular, not a strait line to be found.

Here is the base of the enameled disk with cloisonne wires ready to go

This is the enameled disk with granular enamel painted on and ready to go into the kiln

in the process of adding color and firing to build up layers of glass

Ground and finished disk, ready to set


Here is the setting all soldered.  It's starting to come together!

I tested the disk in the setting many times to ensure a good fit

I also pierced the back and used blue counter enamel so it would show through.  A little secret for the wearer to know ;)

I actually broke a file!!!! I guess I don't know my own strength.

Here is the finished product, completely soldered set and ready to wear

A close up of the pendant


My favorite, the pierced back :)
I hope you enjoyed the journey for conception to reality.  I have enjoyed documenting it for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment